All of Adanac’s Au Pairs have had previous background checks including police clearance, character and childcare references, plus a medical screening. The Au Pairs have also had an in-person interview where they are asked questions regarding their intentions for travelling abroad.
No, the Au Pairs will already have their work permit before arriving to work with your family. You do not need to fill out any immigration paperwork. With their work permit, the Au Pair is treated like any working Canadian and can receive a Social Insurance Number at your closest Service Canada.

The host family would be required to pay for additional costs such as those associated with adding the Au Pair to their car insurance policy and provincial workers compensation. If the Au Pair is expected to have a cell phone on her while working, then this would be considered a work-related expense and the family should pay for a part of her cell phone expense.

The family will also be responsible for any costs associated with getting the Au Pair’s bedroom ready. As a nice gesture, a small welcome gift, such as a Starbucks gift card, would help make your Au Pair feel appreciated.

Lastly, a completion bonus is a common practice in the Au Pair industry. It is an incentive for your Au Pair to stay for her entire placement and it is extra spending money for your Au Pair to use for travelling. See What is a completion bonus?

No. It is required that the Au Pair have their own, reasonably sized bedroom with a lock on the door. They do not require their own bathroom.
A completion bonus is a common practice in the Au Pair industry. It is an incentive for your Au Pair to stay for her entire placement and it is extra spending money for your Au Pair to use for travelling. A completion bonus of $350 is provided and paid for by the host family when your Au Pair completes a 6-9 month placement, $600 is provided when 10-12 month placement is completed.
Typically, an Au Pair stays with a family for 10-12 months. This is dependent on the type of Work Permit she has as well as her availability.

No, an Au Pair cannot be shared between two families. The intention of having an Au Pair is to build a relationship between an Au Pair and a family, making the Au Pair a part of the family. The Au Pair is also to have only one employer.

Both Nannies and Au Pairs live-in with a family to provide childcare and are usually from abroad. Here is a chart of the main differences between a Nanny and an Au Pair:

Nanny Au Pair
Labour Market Impact Assessment needed before arriving to Canada Only needs work permit before arriving to Canada
Provides childcare and housekeeping Provides childcare and light housekeeping (usually anything that pertains to the children)
Any age Usually between 18-30
Creates employer/employee relationship with family Acts as “big sister” to family
Paid median wage Paid minimum wage
Usually does not drive Usually drives
Works full time hours Works between 25-44 hours per week
Stays for minimum of 2 years Stays for 10-12 months
Family pays for flight Au Pair pays for flight
Must have equivalent of Canadian high school Usually high school or post-secondary graduates
Come to Canada with the intention of immigration Come to Canada with the intention of work and travel
Takes a minimum of 9 months for the Nanny to arrive to Canada Applicants who have a Work Permit can arrive to Canada as soon as possible
Yes! Most Au Pairs have valid driver’s licenses and come from countries that are compatible with Canada to exchange their driver’s license for a provincial one.
Yes! Adanac Au Pair works with families of all kinds.
Yes! Au Pairs arrive in Canada through the International Experience Canada program set up through Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This program is intended for young foreigners to come to Canada for an extended period of time to work and travel in Canada. All Au Pairs have their Work Permits before arriving in Canada.
No. In order for your Au Pair to receive her Work Permit, she must pay for medical insurance that will cover her throughout her stay in Canada.
It is up to the Au Pair and the family how much time is spent together. Au Pairs are encouraged to build their own schedule in the community and meet new people so weekends would be a great opportunity for this.

If the family asks the Au Pair to join in on a family outing, it is not necessary to pay the Au Pair unless specified earlier. For example, if the family attends a BBQ and invites the Au Pair, then she would not be paid; however, if it is expected that the Au Pair would watch the children, then she would be paid.

Often they speak both! Our Au Pairs are either native English speakers or know English or French as a secondary language. Our Au Pairs come from around the world, but mainly from Germany and Australia.

Yes, the Au Pair receives two weeks of vacation. This time is usually taken when the host family takes their vacation. The Au Pair is also given vacation pay in the form of 4% per pay period
Au Pairs on our website are already approved for their Canadian work permit and can, in theory, arrive in Canada at any point; although, many Au Pairs have a date in mind for when they want to arrive in Canada. You can find this information on the Au Pair’s mini-profile.

Please note you should give 4-5 weeks between being matched with an Au Pair and their arrival. This will allow your Au Pair to get their affairs in order before departing to Canada for a significant period of time. As well, it will give your family time to prepare for your Au Pair’s arrival; explaining to your children about the new member that’ll be arriving to your family, getting their bedroom all set up, arranging insurance policies, etc.

As many Au Pairs want to arrive in Canada during summer months, this is the best time to hire an Au Pair.

From beginning to end, the entire process can take anywhere from 6-12 weeks. The application process depends on how quickly the application form, references and police clearances are completed. Host families should take an evening, without distractions, to complete the application form and “Dear Au Pair” letter. Being thorough in answers and honest will help with matching. The Police Clearance will probably take the longest to complete, anywhere from 1-3 weeks, so we recommend you make this the first item you work on.

As an employer, you are required to sign up with CRA to make any remittance from your Au Pair. By using the online CRA deductible calculator, it is easy-as-pie and we will assist you, if necessary, during the first few pay periods. Au Pairs are paid the minimum hourly rate as per provincial standards and are entitled to any provincial overtime. Au Pairs can be paid by cheque, cash, or direct deposit into a bank account with their name on it.
Answer: Our Au Pair Plus program accepts applicants who have formal qualification in a child care related profession (e.g. educator, paediatric nurse, child care assistant, midwife, etc.) or have worked with children full time for 2 years. Thus, they have not only gain theoretical knowledge, but also skills in working with children.

Families will be notified of Au Pair Plus program applicants when applications are sent out.

Au Pair in the Au Pair Plus program are paid an additional $50 per week.

Answer: Yes. We refer you to an excellent organization that works around your Payroll Service needs.

We’d love to hear from you.

Call us at 647-332-2477
Click to Email Us

or complete the form below to send a message: